SPILL THE ENEMY'S BLOOD, NEVER INK.


SPILL THE ENEMY'S BLOOD, NEVER INK.

sic gloria transit mundi



Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wu's Abbot Bombs History - RZA (2010) vs. Leutze (1851)

In 1851, German-born Emanuel Leutze (1816-1868) created his most famous painting: the iconic Washington Crossing the Delaware (See the original here).


In 2010 the RZA of the Wu-Tang Clan remixed this very same painting in conjunction with W.A.I.L. (When Art Imitates Life) - a "company focused on creating fine art with musical visionaries at the helm of the creative."




More after the jump.

Have you crossed the river yet?

RZA: Yeah, I think I’ve crossed the river. Crossing the river is very metaphoric to Christian, Buddhist and Hindu philosophy. When you go to nirvana you cross to the other side to find spiritual enlightenment and freedom. And I feel like I’ve crossed it because I’m way far from the man that was on the other side of the
river. It’s a different guy that was over there, even though it’s the same guy in the vessel. When you go somewhere that you’ve never been before and you fall in love with it and it changes you, it’s the same person, but something new is now inside that vessel. A new spirit is in that vessel.

“Victory or Death” was the pass phrase for Washington’s men to identify themselves. What’s yours?

RZA: “Wu-Tang Forever.” Meaning, the decision I made to be this, and what it represents and what it means. Wu-Tang means “man who deserves God.” And we should always be in that position. So “Wu-Tang Forever” is my phrase.
Via Flavorwire


The Painting is aptly titled Victory or Death.

Below is my own visual mash-up, which I like to call Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers . . . Of Congress).


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails